Monday, March 26, 2012

Bare Burgers are Best!

I have ate plenty of burgers in my existence thus far and when done correctly, one of my fav foods. There are a ton of ways to do a good burger, between stuffings, mix-ins, seasoning, toppings, etc. Great thing, is burgers are pretty easy to make at home and can be found at about any place you dine out at.

I have done much experimenting at home with my burgers. I used to favor mixing in seasoning, sauces, mushrooms, onions and other goodies right in to the burger and I have even made several of my own Juicy Lucy style burgers. Those burgers can all be very good, but over time, with tips from Bobby Flay, I have come full circle on the perfect burger at home.

To me, it starts and end with high quality beef. Skip the low cost stuff that comes in a tube, head to the butcher's counter and get something with a little more flavor when you are making burgers. Save the cheap stuff for spaghetti,hamburger helper & chili...

Fortunately, we got a nice in and we buy directly from the farm. Our beef is pretty close to 85/15. I make my patties around 1/3 to 1/2 pound, round and flat enough to fit a normal size bun but thick enough to sear a good crust and leave the inside a juicy medium. Once patties are formed, give them a heavy douse of kosher salt, crushed black pepper and a little Montreal Burger seasoning.

Get your grill or flat skillet smoking hot and let them hit the steel. Give them a good crust on each side and leave the middle a succulent medium. I actually rarely add cheese at home any more, usually a little mustard, a fresh slice of tomato, maybe some fresh onions or lettuce and if around, a little avocado. A bun should hold up, but not over power, lightly toasting your bun in oven or grill add a nice texture and readys them to absorb the burger juices.

Too much other stuff just masks the great flavor of the beef, if you love a good burger, try stripping it down and enjoying it naked!

No comments:

Post a Comment